Greater Bond

The Greater Bond neighborhood is in
the southwestern quadrant of the City of
Tallahassee, Florida. The neighborhood is
bounded by FAMU Way to the north; Orange
Avenue to the south; Pasco Street, Wahnish
Way, Perry Street, and Eugenia Street to the
east; and Lake Bradford Road to the west.
The neighborhood encompasses several
subdivisions, including Medical Commons,
Villa Mitchell, Normal School, Saxon Street,
Cherry Hill, and Leon Arms.

Building On New Days

The Greater Bond neighborhood is a prominent, historically black community in Tallahassee and is affectionately referred to as the “heart and soul of Tallahassee’s Southside.” The land that would become what is now known as the Greater Bond neighborhood was donated to Benjamin J. Bond and Letitia J. Bond on September 19, 1927. The land was cultivated as a blueberry farm. After the death of her husband, Letitia Bond started to subdivide the land and sell lots to African Americans, one of them being Cornelius Speed Jr. and his wife Josie Speed on July 3, 1944. You can view the City of Tallahassee’s Bond Neighborhood First Plan to learn more about the history and trajectory of the Bond neighborhood.

Calendar of Events

There are no upcoming events at this time.

Get to know us! Learn about our history, neighborhood and more.

Visit Our Facebook